Algonquin College recognized for its commitment to spark and accelerate changemakers

OTTAWA —Algonquin College has become one of only three colleges in Canada to be recognized for its commitment to accelerate changemaking.

The recognition comes from Ashoka U as part of its global #MillionsofChangemakers campaign. Ashoka U is the higher education initiative of Ashoka – the world’s largest community of changemakers. As part of the campaign, Algonquin College has committed to:

• recognizing remarkable student success and projects through the Student Changemaker Award, presented at all regular meetings of its Board of Governors
  • empowering, through the Office of Innovation and Entrepreneurship, a cohort of Changemakers, with the goal of hiring 16 students to lead Changemaking activities across the College and based out of our new entrepreneurship centre
  • launching, exposing and engaging 7,500 learners with a new innovative and entrepreneurial mindset enhanced by Indigenous Knowledge
  • creating, through the School of Business, a new course on Social Innovation to be launched in 2020 that will engage a minimum of 20 students

These commitments are just a few of the 73 announced by leading academic institutions, ecosystem building organizations, and individuals in 14 countries who are working together to spark and accelerate more than 200,000 changemakers.

“Algonquin College, through our ongoing work with Ashoka U, has truly embraced the changemaker vision,” says Kevin Holmes, Managing Director, Social Innovation Lab, Algonquin College. “We are now joining the global community through this initiative to help empower millions of changemakers to build a better world.”

Algonquin College’s commitment represents one of the many ways it is contributing to building a world where everyone is a changemaker.

“With this commitment, Algonquin College is joining Ashoka U’s global community of higher education innovators who are collectively activating and equipping the changemakers the world needs,” says Jessica Lax, Ashoka U’s Growth & Partnerships Director. “We’re thrilled to celebrate Algonquin’s commitment and look forward to sharing it with others through this campaign.”

— 30 —

For more information:
Ruth Dunley, Communications Manager
Algonquin College
Office: 613-727-4723 ext. 6452
Mobile: 613-406-0970
dunleyr@algonquincollege.com

Jessica Lax, Growth & Partnerships Director

Ashoka U

jlax@ashoka.org

Comments