Algonquin College President Cheryl Jensen to retire at end of term

OTTAWA — On behalf of the Board of Governors of Algonquin College, Chair Peter Nadeau has announced that Cheryl Jensen will retire after completing her term as President after five years of service.

“We are truly indebted to Cheryl for her years of service to Algonquin,” said Nadeau. “Under her leadership we have broken enrolment records, opened the cutting-edge DARE District, and been named one of the region’s Top 25 Employers each year that she has been with us.”

The first-ever female President of the College, Jensen was appointed in 2014 after more than three decades at Mohawk College in Hamilton where she was a professor, dean and vice-president.

Jensen very quickly made her mark on Algonquin College, advancing Truth, Reconciliation and Indigenization, forging partnerships with other post-secondary institutions, local businesses and institutions, and expanding the College’s academic offerings with several new programs. In addition to the DARE District, she has also been instrumental in the opening of a new multi-million-dollar welding lab, the Garbarino Girard Centre for Innovation in Seniors Care, and a brand new digital health lab in collaboration with the Ottawa Hospital.

“This is a bittersweet time for me because Algonquin has been such a high point in my career, but I am also looking forward to turning my attention to my family, and especially my grandchildren,” said Jensen. “During my time at the College I have always tried to advance our mission — to transform hopes and dreams into lifelong success. I hope that, with the support of a wonderful Algonquin team, I have been able to play a role in that transformation for many students, who have always been my priority and my greatest joy.”

Chair Peter Nadeau has confirmed that a Presidential search will commence immediately.

— 30 —

For more information:
Ruth Dunley, Communications Manager
Algonquin College
Office: 613-727-4723 ext. 6452
Mobile: 613-406-0970
dunleyr@algonquincollege.com

Chris Lackner, Communications Officer
Algonquin College
Office: 613-727-4723 ext. 2091
lacknec@algonquincollege.com

About Algonquin College:
http://www.algonquincollege.com

The mission of Algonquin College of Applied Arts and Technology is to transform hopes and dreams into lifelong success. Algonquin College, an Ontario public sector community college, does this by offering hands-on, digitally connected, experiential learning in more than 185 programs. Based in the Ottawa Valley, Algonquin College is the largest polytechnic institute in eastern Ontario.

Comments